Looking for something?

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Love with Food Review July 2013

Okay, so...first things first, the photo quality in this post is less than stellar. I picked up this box on my way to work, and I forgot to pack snacks, and, well...I decided photos on my phone was better than photos of empty packages. Sorry, but hopefully it's a one-time-only thing.
This month's theme is "Fun on the Boardwalk," which I think is a great theme for summer.
Strawberry Fig Bar--This was okay, but nothing spectacular. Kind of like a healthier version of Fig Newtons I guess? The outer "bready" layer was a little thick for my tastes.
Lord Nut Levington Rebel Mary Spicy Bloody Mary Peanuts--I haven't tried these, and I'm not sure if I'm going to. I'm not a big fan of Bloody Marys, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Necco Wafers--Well, I'm not sure if I've ever had these, or at least not for a long time, but this is one of the first candy companies in the US. Obviously clove flavored chalk textured candy seemed like a great idea back then but I'm not so sure that it's a good idea now. Of course not all of it is clove flavored, but these really weren't spectacular. This is the same company that makes those awful Sweethearts around Valentine's Day.
Kukuruze Hawaiian Salted Caramel Popcorn--This was really good. Most "salted caramel" products aren't terribly salty, but this really delivered. Large chunks of salt in rich caramel corn. Definitely a winner, and the fact that they're from Seattle makes me like it even more. I think I'll have to look into trying their other flavors (white cheddar jalapeno sounds pretty tasty).
Uncle Henry's Handmade Pretzels--Well, these were hard and salty like hard sourdough pretzels should be. I think this must be an Amish company since they have German on the front and a bible verse on the back, plus they're located in Lancaster County. Interesting. These were good, and really mimicked soft pretzels for the Fun On the Boardwalk theme.
Vermont Smoke and Cure BBQ Beef Stick--I haven't tried this yet, but hopefully it's like a Slim Jim? Kind of a unique item to include, so I guess I'm a fan.

Orange Salt Water Taffy from Angel Mint--Taffy is a great boardwalk food, and I love orange flavored things, so of course I was going to like this.
Seasoning Salts from Twangerz--These came in lime, chili lime, lemon lime, and pickle flavors. The packaging suggests that you "sprinkle on fruit, veggies, chips, popcorn, etc." Hmm...I'm not sure that that sounds good. I'm not really sure what to do with this but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

All in all, a pretty good box from Love with Food that's fairly on theme. Besides, Love with Food donates meals for every box sold to food banks. If you want to sign up (and give me some bonus points in the process), click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment