Looking for something?

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ipsy Review July 2013

This month's Ipsy theme was "Beach Beauty," which makes a lot of sense for July. I think they did a really great job matching the products with the theme.
July Glam Bag ($1?) This month's bag was translucent and hot pink. A lot different than they've had before. I don't mind it, but I don't know how I feel about being able to see inside. The point of bags like that are to stash clutter away, not showcase it, you know? Either way, I don't buy Ipsy for the bag! The logo doesn't bother me but others have said you can remove it easily with nail polish remover, just FYI.
Pop Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon in Coral Crush ($4.17) I haven't tried this out yet, but even if the color is a little too much for me, I suspect I can dab off any excess to make it wearable. Much better than a gloss! I have never tried a coral before, but this is a pretty reddish coral, so it will be a good way to dip my toe into the coral trend.
Coola Unscented Mineral Sunscreen ($4.87) I hate moisturizers, and I hate sunscreen. My skin is way too oily to really need a moisturizer, and I don't go out in the sun long enough to really justify sunscreen. Not to mention that it seems like every subscription ever wants to send sunscreen (understandably, since it's summer). Also, it only has SPF 20. Not very good for something that calls itself sunscreen, considering that my foundation has SPF 17. Needless to say, I'm more than okay with this being a fairly small sample, but I can see why other subscribers would like it.
BH Cosmetics California Collection Eyeshadow Sample ($2.94, based on sale price @ $.98 per color for a custom palette) These aren't very pigmented which is sort of a bummer, but they're great colors and I'm excited to try them out. I think using a brush instead of my fingers (like I usually do) will help.
Big Sexy Hair Weather Proof Spray ($7.80) This spray is designed to fight humidity, which makes it a great summer pick in my opinion. But it rains a lot around here, so I'm thinking that maybe I'll save this for once it starts to get really rainy. Rain counts as humidity, right? This was a variation item, the other choice being the surf spray from Healthy Sexy Hair, but I think I'm happier with this. I just got a salt spray from my FabFitFun box, and you only need so many!
Microdermabraision Scrub from derma e ($16.25) This was another "or" item from Ipsy. I could have gotten a bright nail polish from Nailtini, but I didn't want that since I have so much nail polish. I could have gotten a perfume roll on from Demeter, but I didn't want that because it was supposed to smell kind of sunscreen-ey and I hate the smell of sunscreen. I could have gotten a sample of benetint, which would have been great, but I already tried posietint and was not a huge fan. So I was actually thrilled to get the scrub. Hands down it would have been my pick this month. I love it when things work out like that! I haven't used it yet, but it smells really good, and very lemon-ey. I anticipate it won't be too different from the Suki scrub in my Birchbox last month.

I paid $10 (including shipping)for everything, and it ended up having a retail value of about $37. Not a bad deal at all! Lots of new, fun goodies to try, but nothing too far outside my comfort zone. I love this month's selections! If you want to subscribe to Ipsy (and give me some referral points in the process), click here. I highly recommend this subscription; you can't go too wrong when you're only gambling with $10/month!

No comments:

Post a Comment